Cromlix had litter and compost this year as our house responsibility. We decided that we were going to focus on emptying the bins at least twice a week and getting a new litter bin and a better compost bin. We also would like to teach the nursery children about composting, litter and the three R’s Reduce, Reuse and recycle
We have tried to change the way people think about litter and compost, and so far we think we are succeeding. Everyone in the school is willing to empty the bins if asked the younger ones sometimes join in with out being asked.
This year in eco mornings we have done lots of activities including
- Cleaning out the compost bins.
- Making and producing Bee bags
- Making decorations for our carol concert.
- We made things out of news papers.
- A woman from Keep Scotland beautiful called Emily came to talk to us about litter and composting.
- We learnt how to make objects from reusing litter including wallets (made from juice cartons) and a tea light holder (made from an old can)
- We also empty the bins on the house days.
- How litter harms animals.
- We made a litter trophy to present to the tidiest class.
- Campaigning to stop people dropping litter by posters and leaflets.
- Trying to get litter bins and litter picks.
- Litter pick around community.
- Making bird feeders by reusing objects.
Plans for next year
We would like to organise fun experiments which younger children would like, the older children could help the younger ones.
By Kirsty and Jamie P7